At Project Open Hand, we rely on more than 100 volunteers every day to help prepare, package and deliver meals with love, and distribute groceries to sick and elderly neighbors. It is through the tireless dedication of our volunteers that Project Open Hand is able to nourish our community and answer the call of people in need.
Commitment: We ask that weekly volunteers make a 6-month commitment, provide an annual tuberculosis (TB) test and always maintain confidentiality and display non-judgmental behavior when interacting with clients, volunteers and staff. You must be at least 15 years old to volunteer in our kitchen, grocery center or special events. (Click here to learn more about our volunteer opportunities for youth.)
If you are interested in volunteering on a one-time basis, please consider:
- Volunteering at Special Events - Lend a hand at our fundraising events, including food festivals, concerns and fashion shows. Learn more.
- Volunteering as a Group - We host one-time volunteer groups of up to 12 people in our kitchen and grocery centers. Bring your co-workers, classmates, family and friends for a great experience. Learn more.
- Volunteering from Home – Making holiday and birthday cards for Project Open Hand clients is a great volunteer project for kids, youth groups and classrooms - and for anyone who loves crafty projects. Learn more.
Join the Project Open Hand volunteer team! Follow these three steps:
1. Attend our Wednesday evening orientation to get more information!
Time: 6:00-7:00 every Wednesday (excluding holidays)
Location: Our lobby at 730 Polk Street, San Francisco
2. Obtain a TB test. (TB Skin Test sites in San Francisco)
3. Attend a Saturday training. More information will be provided after you attend a Wednesday orientation.
Note: All community-service participants must make an appointment for a community service orientation. Please call (415) 447-2313.
- Kitchen: Slice and dice in our kitchen! Help us prepare meals by peeling and chopping vegetables, preparing food for cooking, and packaging meals for clients.
- Grocery Center: Good with a grocery cart? Work in our grocery center. You’ll sort and pack food or help clients get their weekly groceries.
- Delivery: Deliver meals with love. Deliveries can be done alone or in pairs, walking or by car. On-call positions are also available.
- Senior Programs: Serve lunch to seniors in need. Help create an inviting atmosphere for elderly neighbors by serving meals with a smile.
- Special Events : Lend a hand at our fundraising events, including food festivals, concerts and fashion shows.
- Grocery Center: Work in our grocery center in downtown Oakland. You’ll sort and pack food or help clients get their weekly groceries.
- Delivery: Deliver meals with love. Deliveries can be done alone or in pairs, walking or by car.
If you have questions about volunteering, please contact call our volunteer hotline at (415) 447-2404 or email our Director of Volunteer Services.