Help fill our most pressing volunteer needs:
- Senior Lunch Program. Help create an inviting atmosphere for elderly neighbors by serving meals with a smile at one of 15 dining rooms across San Francisco. One-times groups of 3 to 6 people are welcome. We are also seeking individuals to volunteer once a week for a six-month commitment. Learn more and get involved by emailing [email protected].
If you are interested in volunteering on a one-time basis, please consider:
- Volunteering at Special Events - Special event opportunities include festivals, galas and partnership events. Learn more.
- Volunteering as a Group - We host one-time volunteer groups of up to 12 people in our kitchen and grocery centers. Bring your co-workers, classmates, family and friends for a great experience. Learn more.
- Volunteering from Home – Making birthday cards for Project Open Hand clients is a great volunteer project for kids, youth groups and classrooms - and for anyone who loves crafty projects. Learn more.
If you are interested in scheduling a weekly volunteer shift:
- Please be ready to make a 6-month commitment. For students, we ask you to commit to volunteering for 40 hours during one semester
- Provide an annual tuberculosis (TB) test. We provide information about this at our orientation session.
- Always maintain confidentiality and display non-judgmental behavior when interacting with clients, volunteers and staff.
- For safety reasons, you must be at least 15 years old to volunteer in our kitchen, grocery center or special events. (Click here to learn more about our volunteer opportunities for youth.)
Volunteer in San Francisco
Join the Project Open Hand volunteer team in San Francisco! Follow these three steps:
1. Attend our Wednesday evening orientation to get more information!
Time: 6:00-7:00 every Wednesday (excluding holidays)
Location: Our lobby at 730 Polk Street, San Francisco
2. Obtain a TB test. (TB Skin Test sites in San Francisco)
3. Attend a Saturday training. More information will be provided after you attend a Wednesday orientation.
Note: If you are a participant of a specialized community-service program (For example, Project 20, Pretrial Diversion, Government Assistance), please contact Volunteer Services to make an appointment for a community service orientation. Please call (415) 447-2313.
- Kitchen: Slice and dice in our kitchen! Help us prepare meals by peeling and chopping vegetables, preparing food for cooking, and packaging meals for clients.
- Grocery Center: Good with a grocery cart? Work in our grocery center. You’ll sort and pack food or help clients get their weekly groceries.
- Delivery: Deliver meals with love. Deliveries can be done alone or in pairs, walking or by car. On-call positions are also available.
- Senior Programs: Serve lunch to seniors in need. Help create an inviting atmosphere for elderly neighbors by serving meals with a smile.
- Special Events : Lend a hand at our fundraising events, including food festivals, concerts and fashion shows.
Volunteer in the East Bay
Available shifts in the East Bay:
- Grocery Center: Work in our grocery center in downtown Oakland. You’ll sort and pack food or help clients get their weekly groceries.
If you have questions about volunteering, please contact call our volunteer hotline at (415) 447-2404 or email our Associate Director of Volunteer Services.