‘Tis the season for volunteering!
Sign up now, as our holiday shifts fill fast. To inquire about volunteering during the holiday season (and all year long), call our volunteer hotline at (415) 447-2404 or email Volunteer Services at [email protected] .
Come as an individual, with your family (age 15+) or with a company team. We offer a variety of volunteer opportunities during the holiday season, including preparing meals in our kitchen, working in our grocery centers or warehouse, serving holiday meals to seniors across San Francisco, and delivering meals with love to our homebound clients.
At Project Open Hand, we rely on more than 125 volunteers every day to help prepare, package and deliver meals with love, and distribute groceries to sick and elderly neighbors. It is through the tireless dedication of our volunteers that Project Open Hand is able to nourish our community and answer the call of people in need.
Read what our volunteers say about their experience at Project Open Hand:
“Sometimes, we’re the only people that our clients see all day. We’re providing meals with love. You can’t beat that.” – Richie, delivery volunteer
“I try to think about the people who benefit from the program, and to me, that’s very rewarding.” – Eileen, kitchen volunteer and former client
“Most volunteers, myself included, we try and get to know our clients on a more personal level. I think it’s important for them to see that young people want to be here. Love just fills up this whole building.” – Rebecca, grocery center volunteer and student at University of San Francisco
If you are interested in volunteering on a one-time basis, please consider:
- Volunteering at Special Events - Lend a hand at our fundraising events, including food festivals, concerts and fashion shows. Learn more.
- Volunteering as a Group - We host one-time volunteer groups of up to 12 people in our kitchen and grocery centers. Bring your co-workers, classmates, family and friends for a great experience. Learn more.
- Volunteering from Home – Making birthday cards for Project Open Hand clients is a great volunteer project for kids, youth groups and classrooms - and for anyone who loves crafty projects. Learn more.
If you are interested in scheduling a weekly volunteer shift:
- Please be ready to make a 6-month commitment. For students, we ask you to commit to volunteering for 40 hours during one semester
- Provide an annual tuberculosis (TB) test. We provide information about this at our orientation session.
- Always maintain confidentiality and display non-judgmental behavior when interacting with clients, volunteers and staff.
- For safety reasons, you must be at least 15 years old to volunteer in our kitchen, grocery center or special events. (Click here to learn more about our volunteer opportunities for youth.)
Volunteer in San Francisco
Join the Project Open Hand volunteer team in San Francisco! Follow these three steps:
1. Attend our Wednesday evening orientation to get more information!
Time: 6:00-7:00 every Wednesday (excluding holidays)
Location: Our lobby at 730 Polk Street, San Francisco
2. Obtain a TB test. (TB Skin Test sites in San Francisco)
3. Attend a Saturday training. More information will be provided after you attend a Wednesday orientation.
Note: If you are a participant of a specialized community-service program (For example, Project 20, Pretrial Diversion, Government Assistance), please contact Volunteer Services to make an appointment for a community service orientation. Please call (415) 447-2313.
- Kitchen: Slice and dice in our kitchen! Help us prepare meals by peeling and chopping vegetables, preparing food for cooking, and packaging meals for clients.
- Grocery Center: Good with a grocery cart? Work in our grocery center. You’ll sort and pack food or help clients get their weekly groceries.
- Delivery: Deliver meals with love. Deliveries can be done alone or in pairs, walking or by car. On-call positions are also available.
- Senior Programs: Serve lunch to seniors in need. Help create an inviting atmosphere for elderly neighbors by serving meals with a smile.
- Special Events : Lend a hand at our fundraising events, including food festivals, concerts and fashion shows.
Volunteer in the East Bay
Available shifts in the East Bay:
- Grocery Center: Work in our grocery center in downtown Oakland. You’ll sort and pack food or help clients get their weekly groceries.
- Delivery: Deliver meals with love. Deliveries can be done alone or in pairs, walking or by car.
If you have questions about volunteering, please contact call our volunteer hotline at (415) 447-2404 or email our Director of Volunteer Services.