Project Open Hand is a partnership of volunteers, donors, and staff working to provide vital nourishment to people living with HIV/AIDS, Seniors, and Homebound individuals living with serious illness. Distribution volunteers work with the Delivery Volunteer Coordinator and the Distribution staff to complete those tasks necessary to provide hot and frozen meals directly to our clients.
- Work with Distribution staff to organize and pack meals, groceries, desserts, cakes, keys and any other items needed for delivery.
- Go over route sheet for particulars of each delivery and check with dispatcher before leaving.
- Drive or walk specified delivery route, paying attention to instructions for each delivery and coding the route sheet to indicate outcome of each attempt.
- At stationary sites, handing out meals to clients listed on the sheet.
Follow all the guidelines for delivery discussed in the delivery orientation.
- Volunteer must be at least twelve (12) years of age with adult supervision.
- Volunteer must be comfortable interacting with a variety of individuals in a culturally diverse environment.
- Volunteer must show proof of a negative Tuberculosis screening.
- Volunteer must be willing to commit to six (6) months.
For Driving Routes:
- Volunteer must be fully licensed, insured, and able to drive in the state of California.
- Volunteer must have a good working knowledge of the city streets and/or the ability to read provided maps and directions.
- Volunteer must have a safe vehicle in good working order, registered, and insured.
- Volunteer must be able to climb several flights of stairs or have a helper able to do so.
For Walking Routes:
- Volunteer must be able to walk several blocks pulling a wheeled delivery bag, or carrying a shoulder bag.
- Volunteer must be able to climb several flights of stairs
- Volunteer must be able to navigate Single Room Occupancy (SRO) hotels and apartment buildings.
For Stationary Sites:
- Volunteer must be capable of standing for long periods
- Volunteer must be able to attend to large numbers of clients at once and stay organized.