This easy side dish makes a great addition to your holiday table.
Serves 10 people
3 ½ pounds cauliflower, trimmed, cut into florets (about 8 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups half and half
7 tablespoons prepared white horseradish, divided
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 cup packed grated Fontina cheese (about 4 ounces)
½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Steam the cauliflower over boiling water until crisp-tender, about 9 minutes. Transfer to 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large sauce-pan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir 2 minutes (do not brown).
- Gradually whisk in half and half. Cook until sauce boils and thickens, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes.
- Mix in 5 tablespoons horseradish and vinegar. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over cauliflower and mix to coat.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of cauliflower mixture.
(Can be made to this step one day ahead. Cover and chill.)
Make the topping:
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Mix in mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons horseradish.
- Add breadcrumbs; stir until crumbs are golden brown, about 9 minutes.
- Sprinkle over cauliflower. Bake until cauliflower is heated through, about 25 minutes.